Adopted July 8, 2008 / Revised May 2018
Article I – Name
The name of this organization shall be the Brookhaven National Laboratory Retired Employees Association, hereinafter referred to as BREA.
Article II – Purpose
The purpose of BREA shall be to further retiree interests and benefits, to build closer community ties between Brookhaven National Laboratory (hereinafter referred to as BNL) and its neighbors, to publish a newsletter providing communication with retired employees, and to encourage activities for social interaction within the retirement community.
Article III – Membership
Section 1. Eligibility of membership
Membership of BREA shall be open to the following:
A. Regular members, consisting of retired employees and employees out on long-term disability.
B. Associate members, consisting of all other employees of BNL, spouses of deceased members.
Section 2. Dues
The dues for regular and associate members shall be determined by the Board of Directors, and shall be payable in the first month of the appropriate calendar year. If dues are not paid within three months after this date, membership may be forfeited. No dues shall be levied on new retirees for the remainder of the year in which they join, and there shall be no charge for honorary and ex-officio members.
Article IV – Officers
Section 1. Officers
The elected officers of BREA shall be a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer, such officers to constitute the Board of Directors, hereinafter referred to as the Board. Additional officers may be appointed by the Board to assist the elected officers in their duties.
Section 2. Duties of Officers
The President shall:
- serve as chair of the Board and preside at all meetings of BREA.
- appoint persons to serve as Editor of the BREA newsletter, Webmaster of the BREA website, Membership Chair, Social Committee Chair, and Recording Secretary at BREA’s meetings when the elected Secretary is absent.
- have the power to appoint special representatives or committees subject to the approval of the Board.
- issue reports as needed.
- approve all expenditures in excess of $500.
- act as the authorized representative of BREA in all discussions with the BNL contractor, BNL, the United States Department of Energy, and other organizations.
B. Vice President
The Vice President shall:
- assume the duties of president in the absence of the latter.
- assist the President in his duties.
- be an ex-officio member of all committees and provide liaison between committees and the Board.
- assume the office of President in the event of resignation, disability or death of the latter.
The Secretary shall:
- have responsibility for the recording and distribution of the business meeting minutes.
- develop official BREA correspondence as directed by the President.
The Treasurer shall:
- maintain a detailed record of the financial accounts of BREA and provide a financial statement at each meeting.
- maintain an account at such banks as the Board shall direct, and coordinate signature authorization with the President.
- prepare and submit an annual budget proposal as directed by the Board.
Section 3. Election of Officers
Officers shall be elected for a term of two years by a paper or email ballot of all regular and associate members in good standing to take place in December of odd-number years, and shall take office at the first meeting in the following year. Ballots shall allow for write-in candidates. Ballots received by the December business meeting will be counted. To be elected, a candidate must receive a plurality of the votes cast for a particular office. In the case of a tie, the winner will be chosen by chance (e.g. by a coin toss or something similar).
Section 4. Vacancies in Office
Except for the office of President, vacancies in office shall be filled by the Board for the remainder of the current term.
Article V – Meetings
Regular meetings shall be held in the second week of each month, excluding August. Special meetings may be called at the discretion of the President. Notice of such special meetings shall be provided to members on the BREA website, by email, and if time allows, through the BREA Newsletter or special mailings, and shall specify the nature of the special business to be conducted at the meeting. All issues put to a vote at any meeting shall be resolved by a simple majority vote of those members present except as provided for elsewhere in the bylaws.
Article VI – Committees and Offices
Section 1. Membership Chair
The Membership Chair will maintain an up-to-date list of BREA members and contact information.
Section 2. Nominating Committee
The nominating committee shall consist of three members elected by a plurality of those members present at the September meeting. The committee shall choose its own chairman, and nominate no later than the November meeting at least one candidate for each office to be filled.
Section 3. Social Committee
A Chair and other members shall be selected annually by the President. This Committee shall be primarily responsible for planning the annual social event.
Section 4. BNL Community Advisory Council
This will consist of one delegate to the BNL CAC, and one or more alternates. Those selected will abide by the rules of the CAC, and report back to BREA on CAC activities with a progress report annually. The delegate will consult the membership on any issues particularly relevant to BREA.
Section 5. Special Committees
The President or Board may appoint standing and special committees as and when deemed necessary.
Article VII – Amendments
The Constitution and these Bylaws may be amended at any meeting provided that written notice has been mailed or emailed to all regular and associate members in good standing at least one month in advance, such notice to include the complete text of the proposed amendments and/or the website where the complete text has been posted and an absentee ballot. Amendments shall require a two-thirds majority vote of those members present and voting at the meeting, together with those members voting by absentee ballot.
Article VIII – Dissolution
Dissolution of BREA shall require a majority vote of the Board at any regular monthly meeting, followed within one week by a mail or email ballot to all regular and associate members in good standing. Final dissolution shall require a two-thirds majority of votes on those ballots returned by the following monthly meeting. Upon dissolution, the distribution of any assets remaining after payment of all costs and expenses of such dissolution shall be determined by a vote of those members present at the final meeting.